Over the past few years, many of us have had to adapt our lifestyles to be able to undertake our passions, hobbies, and work – all from the inside of our homes.
Whether you’re pursuing your newfound talent, in need of a quieter home office, or perhaps your DIY projects are just getting a little too noisy for the neighbours – soundproofing your garage could be the convenient solution for you.
Your garage is a great space to explore your old and newfound hobbies and fine-tune your skills. If you’ve finally followed your dream of starting a podcast, picked up a musical instrument or kick-started your TikTok career – why not elevate your at-home set up to include an at-home soundproof studio?
Give the whole family a space to live out their passions by following Chamberlain’s simple steps to transform your humble garage into your very own soundproof studio at home!
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Acoustic foam panels
- Interlocking foam or rubber mats
- Curtain rods
- Soundproof curtains or thick cotton curtains
- Soft-sided storage containers
- An ultra-quiet Chamberlain garage door opener
- Chamberlain Obstruction Detection Beams
It all starts with insulation
Whether you want to keep the sound from escaping or cut out the background noise, your brand-new studio transformation starts with insulation. Head down to your local hardware or homeware store to grab some supplies.
To insulate your garage, all you need is:
- Acoustic foam panels. Pop these against the walls and secure them to the ceiling, foam panels will reduce the amount of sound vibrating throughout the garage.
- Line your garage floor with interlocking foam or rubber mats to insulate the concrete ground.
- You can even install insulation on your garage door! Reduce garage echo and prevent sound from bouncing against the door.
- If you have a sectional garage door you can safely install foam insulation within the panels of the door, that stays secured in place when operating your garage door.
- For a roller garage door try mounting a curtain rod above the garage door and attaching soundproof or thick cotton curtains. This will allow you to safely operate your garage door, without obstructing any of the door’s mechanisms once the curtains have been drawn back.
By insulating the ceiling, floors, walls, and doors in your garage – you’re on your way to having the soundproof studio of your dreams.
Find the right storage and safety solutions
If you’re creating a studio for your home office or setting up your new recording equipment for your latest podcast episode, everything will need its place! Get the most out of your new studio with some handy storage and safety solutions.
Consider how you will need to store your equipment. Will you need tables, storage boxes, or hanging space? Chamberlain suggests using soft-sided options such as bamboo or felt-lined tubs, as this will help in reducing sound.
Don’t forget to protect your belongings by installing Chamberlain’s Obstruction Detection Beams (Safety Beams). Using Infra-Red technology, Safety Beams will stop and reverse the door when any objects or movement are detected underneath before the door makes contact – so you don’t have to worry about your precious studio belongings getting damaged!
Time for the finishing touches
Now that your garage is insulated and your storage and safety is sorted, why not jazz up your new soundproof studio?
When it comes to soundproofing, the details matter more than you think.
Decorating your new space with soft-sided furniture is essential to stopping sound from bouncing around the space. If you have some old furniture lying around, rugs and couches are a great addition to absorbing noise in any studio – plus they add that extra level of comfort!
Keep your soundproof studio even quieter with soundless entry and exit with Chamberlain’s range of garage door openers. All Chamberlain garage door openers are great for easy access and won’t add extra sound, with all openers in our range built for ultra-silent and reliable operation.
Need to add some extra lighting for your garage? Why not sync a myQ Remote LED Light to your Chamberlain garage door opener, so that every time your garage door is opened, your LED Light will activate too.
With everything in place, your transformation is complete! Now everyone in the family has a space where they can get on with their work and hobbies in peace.
The only thing left to decide is decide which family member gets to make the most of your new soundproof studio first!
For more information about Chamberlain’s range of garage door openers and accessories, visit our website or call 1800 665 438.